Ending your Tenancy

Ending your tenancy - By You

Victory can give you a standard form to end your tenancy, and help you to fill it in.
This form can be found here:  Notice To Quit form

You must:
  • Give at least four weeks’ notice to us in writing. The notice period must end on a Sunday;
  • Ensure your keys are returned to our office  or put into the key safe provided by us by midday on the Monday after the termination date. If you do not return the keys you will be charged extra rent;
  • Allow our staff and/or contractors access to the property within the final four weeks of your tenancy. The time and date of the visit(s) will be arranged in advance. You should also allow the new tenants to view the house;
  • Leave the property, including loft spaces, garden and any sheds or garages empty clean and tidy;
  • Remove all furniture, clothes and other personal belongings;
  • Remove any rubbish;
  • Clean all surfaces, fixtures and fittings, including toilet, bath, basin, kitchen units and sinks;
  • Remove and dispose of all floor coverings unless they are in excellent condition and it has been agreed beforehand that they can be left;
  • Leave the structure of the property and any fixtures and fittings (such as light fittings and kitchen units) in good condition;
  • Remove any fittings that belong to you and repair any damage caused; and
  • Make sure your rent is up to date and leave us a forwarding address.

If you fail to leave the property totally empty we will arrange to clear what is left and charge you for doing this. We will also charge you for any repairs needed to the structure, fixtures or fittings that are not the result of wear and tear.

Before you leave your home for the last time you should make sure you have:
  • Read any gas, electric and water meters and sent the readings to the suppliers so they can close the account;
  • Told the Council Tax department at the local authority;
  • Told other service providers such as telephone and television services;
  • Re-directed your post to your new address. Your local post office will be able to help you do this; and
  • Tell us. If you leave the property without telling us, you will be responsible for the full rent and other bills until the date the tenancy ends legally.
Ending your tenancy - By Us

We can end your tenancy in certain situations. To do this we would need to get a Court Order by showing we have reason to end the tenancy.

The grounds we will use are:
  • Not paying your rent
  • Breaking the conditions of the tenancy, including your refusal to us to access your property to carry out repairs or annual heating appliance service checks;
  • Causing damage to the property;
  • Causing damage to any furniture we have provided;
  • Being involved in anti-social behaviour or using your home for illegal purposes;
  • Providing false evidence to get the tenancy; and
  •  If one partner has left due to suffering domestic violence and is unlikely to return. In this case the remaining partner will no longer have the right to stay in the property.

If we want to end your tenancy, we will give you notice as required by law.  There are different types of notice depending on the type of tenancy you have.  The notice tells you we are thinking of taking legal action.  At that stage you must contact us to discuss the situation or to make arrangements to sort out the problem.  If you do not, we may start possession proceedings through the County Court.

If you have a Starter Tenancy, your tenancy will end if we do not change it to a Fixed Term Tenancy at the end of the starter period.

If you have a Fixed Term Tenancy, your tenancy will end if we do not renew it at the end of the term.

There are other circumstances in which we may need to end your tenancy, for example, redevelopment of your home. If this were the case we would offer you alternative accommodation that suits your needs. We would still need the Court’s agreement to end a tenancy in this way.  Your Tenancy Agreement also has details on how your tenancy can be ended by us.