Managing Your Money

Struggling financially? Not sure if you are receiving the money you are entitled to?

Debt is an increasing problem, and for those facing debt problems, it is often tempting to ignore the problem, rather than admit it and do something about it.

The most important thing if you are experiencing debt problems is not to ignore them – they will not go away, they will only get worse. Ignoring them can result in you paying more in the long run.

Victory Housing Trust can provide residents with help and advice on claiming benefits, budgeting and put you in touch with services which can help you deal with debts. Advice can be provided over the phone, or appointments can be arranged either at an office or at your home, at a time convenient to you.

Please use the form below to calculate your budget.

Income and Expenditure.doc 124KB

Free, confidential advice is available by contacting us on 0330 123 1860 or emailing:

There are a range of FREE money advice services available for people who have debt problems.

Citizens Advice Bureau 

The Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) helps people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free information and advice, and by influencing policy makers. General advice can be found at or you can arrange an appointment to see a local adviser by contacting the advice line on 03444 111 444.

National Debtline

National Debtline operate a free telephone advice line on 0808 808 4000, and provide a range of self-help information available on their website.

Step Change Debt Charity

A national debt help charity that provides free debt advice, debt counselling and a range of debt solutions including free debt management. Try their Debt Remedy service for FREE and confidential, online debt advice available 24 hours a day. A helpline is also available on 0800 138 1111 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday.

Rent arrears

Take action to deal with rent arrears. You could be evicted if you don't.

Contact your landlord if you're having problems paying your rent.

Don't ignore letters or phone calls from your landlord or agent. Your landlord may be willing to keep you as a tenant if the payment problems can be sorted out.

Click here for some excellent advice from Shelter.


Are you paying too much for your utility bills? When was the last time you switched supplier?

There are two helpful websites that can help you look at the cheapest deals available and it’s completely free.



Credit Unions

Eastern Savings and Loans Credit Union promotes access to savings accounts, basic banking facilities and affordable credit.

If you live or work, volunteer or study in Suffolk, Norfolk or Cambridgeshire you can become member.

Eastern Savings and Loans is a community based financial co-operative that offers:

  • A safe place to save
  • Loans at affordable rates of interest
  • Pay-as-you-go Visa Debit card
  • Christmas Savings Club
  • Child Benefit Savings and Loan Plan
  • Accounts for Clubs and Societies
  • Junior Accounts

For more information, please contact Eastern Savings and Loans directly on 01473 690690, email or visit their website at