We are positive about disability
We are proud to use the Positive about Disability double tick symbol.
What is the Disability Symbol?
It's a recognition given by Jobcentre Plus to organisations who agree to take action to meet five commitments regarding the employment, retention, training and career development for people with disabilities.
Why has Victory Housing Trust obtained the Positive about Disability double tick symbol?
We want to make sure everyone is given a fair opportunity and we want to provide a workplace that is free from discrimination. By using the symbol we make it clear that we welcome applications from a diverse range of abilities. The symbol shows our current and potential employees that we value their contribution and will treat them fairly should they have or develop a disability. We believe that employing people with disabilities can make service providers better placed to recognise, develop and deliver goods and services for disabled customers.
What do the commitments mean in practice?
Organisations who obtain accreditation to use the Double Tick symbol are required to:
- Interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a job vacancy and consider them on their abilities.
- Make sure there is a mechanism in place to discuss with disabled employees what can be done to make sure they can develop and use their abilities.
- Ensure every effort when employees become disabled to make sure they stay in employment.
- Take action to ensure that all employees develop the appropriate level of disability awareness needed to make these commitments work.
- Annually review the five commitments and what has been achieved, plan ways to improve on them and let employees and Jobcentre Plus know about progress and future plans.
What does it mean for applicants when they see the Disability Symbol on a job advert?
If you meet the minimum criteria for a job you have applied for, you will be guaranteed an interview. Interested applicants can always contact us to find what the minimum criteria are. That way you will have a good idea of whether to apply, and what to expect. This applies to both internal and external candidates.